Meeting House Presents
at the Unitarian Society of Hartford
50 Bloomfield Avenue Hartford, CT 06105
Celtic Melody in concert on Saint Patrick’s Day.
Friday, March 17, 2023 at 7:00 $15 suggested donation
We promise not to serve green beer . . .
. . . but maybe green tea and Janice Newton’s famous chocolate mousse.
Click the Saint Patrick’s Day image to see the full-sized poster.
Celtic Melody is a Connecticut-based group playing traditional Irish dance music and song. At a Celtic Melody show you can expect to hear jigs, reels, hornpipes, slides, slip-jigs, hop-jigs, polkas and more. Interspersed with these tunes you will also get plenty of songs, from the familiar Irish standards to some rare gems picked up in the backs of pubs in the wee hours of morning… Celtic Melody is (L to R in the photo above) Tom Morgan, Liz Farley Raymond, Janet Morgan, Aaron Bittle, Brent Morgan, and Eileen Burke Grabowsk. Meet the band…
Aaron is a lifelong musician with no Irish ancestry to speak of, who wandered into Irish traditional music as part of a research project in grad school. The research ended, but nearly twenty years later he’s still playing thetunes. He also plays Québécois, American old-time, and Chinese music, and has at various times played in a Balkan brass band, a Bulgarian wedding music band, and a Middle Eastern orchestra.
Eileen is the daughter of Galway native fiddle and box player Eddie Burke. She played fiddle growing up, but took a break from music while raising her kids. Now that the kids are a little older Eileen is once again following in her father’s footsteps.
Tom and Janet Morgan (singer/guitar and concertina/tin whistle) spent a year living in Dublin in 2002 where they became fascinated with the traditional session music at the local pubs. Janet picked up the tin whistle, and Tom set to work memorizing verse after verse of song lyrics. After their return to the states their son Brent joined them on some tunes, and soon began playing the Irish Tenor Banjo to round out their little trio.
Liz grew up in MA and ME, shearing sheep and playing french horn. Years later she wandered into Irish Set Dancing, discovered her love for Traditional Irish music and was lucky enough to study with the late PV O’Donnell. Through family and friends, Quebecois music was added to her repertoire. Join Liz in the delight of Irish culture where everyday could be St. Patrick’s Day!
St. Patrick’s Day Extra!
Musical intermission with Jerry Jacques and Nancy Fightlin.
Friday, April 28, 2023 at 7:00
Meetinghouse is a folk/rock/bluegrass/r&b musical group that serendipitously happens to be made up of Unitarian Universalists.
Friday, May 19, 2023 at 7:00
Horizon Blue’s music is best described as Contemporary Americana – a blend of folk, bluegrass, country, blues and rock. We play a variety of instruments including guitar, mandolin, ukulele, electric and upright bass, dobro, strum stick, bongos, and flute.
Our performances are family friendly, conversational, and inviting. The original and well-known songs we perform have a storytelling aspect and are well received by audiences of all ages.
Meeting House Presents at the Unitarian Society of Hartford
50 Bloomfield Avenue Hartford, CT 06105
Archive 2017-18 Meeting House Presents Shows
- May 2017 Jack Williams
- Oct. 27, 2017 Sam Moffett Quartet
- Nov. 24, 2017 David Massengill
- Jan. 19, 2018 Jacques Lamarre
- Jan. 26, 2018 New World Trio
- Feb. 23, 2018 Dennis McCorkle with Idalberto Perdomo, Edilio Bermudex, Desiree Negron-Carrero and Adèle Paxton.
- March 23, 2018 JP Cormier
- March 30, 2018 Susie Burke and David Surette
- Apr. 27, 2018 An Evening with Mary Gauthier
Archive 2018-19 Meeting House Presents Shows
- Sept. 14, 2018 Jill Friedman, Tang, Self-Suffice, David Giardina, and friends
- Sept. 29, 2018 Peter Mayer
- October 26, 2018 Charlie King
- Nov. 30, 2018 Lula Wiles
- Dec. 28, 2018 Sarah Harmon McKenzie and Ellen Iovino
- Jan. 18, 2019 Hubby Jenkins (of the Carolina Chocolate Drops)
- Feb. 22, 2019 Citizen U
- March 22, 2019 Belle of the Fall
- April 5, 2019 Mackie and Me
- Saturday, May 4, 2019 Pete Seeger Birthday Party Sing-Along Gathering with Annie Patterson & Peter Blood, Sally Rogers, Magpie, and Charlie King
Archive 2019-20 Meeting House Presents Shows
- Friday, Sept. 27, 2019 Moonfruits
- Friday, Oct. 4, 2019 Mad Agnes
- Friday, Nov. 1, 2019 Annie Sumi
- Friday, Nov. 22, 2019 Louise Mosrie
- Friday, Dec. 27, 2019 Hartford Hot Several Brass Band
- Friday, Jan. 24, 2020 Reggie Harris
- Friday, Feb 28, 2020 Belle of the Fall
Closed from April 2020 through May 2021 due to Covid-19 precautions.
Archive 2021-22 Meeting House Presents Shows
- Friday, Sept. 17, 2021 Abbie Gardner
- Friday, October 15, 2021 Scott Cook
- Friday, November 19, 2021 Vance Gilbert
- Friday, December 17, 2021 Reggie Harris and Pat Wictor
- Friday, Apr. 22, 2022 Mad Agnes
- Friday, May 13 , 2022 Seán Heely and Beth Patterson
Special Saturday Show
- Saturday, April 30, 2022 Susan Werner
Archive 2022-23 Meeting House Presents Shows
- Thursday. October 20, 2022 Calan, co-sponsored by the Welsh Society of New England
- Friday, November 18, 2022 Van Manakas on Jazz Guitar with Rave Tesar on Piano
- Friday, November 18, 2022 Cosmic Legends, featuring Sylvie Degiez and Wayne Lopes
- Friday, December 2, 2022 Oldies Rock & Roll Show with Rod Muck
- Email us at MeetingHousePresents@gmail.com
- Phone the Unitarian Meeting House at (860) 233-9897, Office Hours: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 10:00-3:00
- Phone Laura and Paul Cipriano at (959)223-0590
- Check this web page or subscribe to our email list for notification if shows are sold out or rescheduled
Our email includes concert announcements, updates, and info about folk music events in the area. Subscribe to Meeting House Presents Email send a message to MeetingHousePresents@gmail.com. Put “subscribe” in the subject line. We send one or two emails each month.
Folknotes.org is a comprehensive web site maintained by Brent Hall listing folk music events in Connecticut and southern New England.
Concert Entertainment Fun Guitar Singing Music Concerts Theate